Software Engineering Department:
Nowadays, software plays a central role in almost all aspects of daily life: in government, banking and finance, education, transportation, entertainment, medicine, agriculture, and law. The number, size, and application domains of computer programs have grown dramatically; as a result, hundreds of billions are being spent on software development, and the livelihood and lives of most people depend on the effectiveness of this development. Software products have helped us to be more efficient and productive. They make us more effective problem solvers, and they provide us with an environment for work and play that is often safer, more flexible, and less confining. Software engineering is a discipline, which involves the specification, design, construction and verification of large software systems.
Bachelor degree programs in Software Engineering in Ethiopia came into existence in the last few years. According to the GTP (Growth and Transformation Plan) goals and strategies set by the ministry of Communication and Information Technology, the ministry emphasizes the fact that it will work extensively towards creating an enabling environment for ICT professionals to be engaged in innovation, creativity, and research activities. So that the ministry can effectively support GTP reform to ensure sustainable development, poverty eradication, human resource development, capacity development and good governance through well-developed information communication technology involvement. Hence, the college of informatics is about to launch a new program in Software Engineering aiming to produce skilled graduates in the field of Software Engineering to fill the demand of manpower in the field at national level.
The Software Engineering program will start 2016-2017 academic year, with a target of admitting students in the regular program from the year 2016 onwards, under the college of Informatics. This degree program is a five year program designed for students who wish to pursue careers as professional software engineers in industry and commerce. Graduates of this program may pursue career opportunities in a variety of entry-level positions, including software developer, Software Architect, software programmer, application developer, Web application developer, software engineer, software applications analyst, Software Project Manager, Software Tester and Web applications analyst.
To establish as a world class software engineering graduate, focused on learning environment, quality teaching research and entrepreneurship.
To develop software engineers having a concrete knowledge-based of SE discipline through a strong focus on teaching excellence and develop their analytical and problem solving skill through a strong focus on fostering research ,innovation and entrepreneurship.
Learn more about each of our programs:
BSc in Software Engineering
Software engineering is about creating high-quality software in a systematic, controlled, and efficient manner. Consequently, in this curriculum there are important emphases on analysis and evaluation, specification, design, and evolution of software. In addition, there are issues related to management and quality, to novelty and creativity, to standards, to individual skills, and to teamwork and professional practice that play a vital role in software engineering. The main objectives of this program are
- To provide education for the students with at most quality and thereby to cultivate confidence in the students to serve the country better and acquiring practical skills and knowledge in all dimensions of software engineering field by being involved in several group/individual project and manage software project successfully.
- Assisting Government’s policy of increasing trained manpower, thereby reducing the shortage of skilled manpower that are required for different organizations, to develop the nation
- Assisting the industrial community and institutions around in the region to achieve excellence
- Knowledge and understanding of the essential facts, concepts, principles and theories related to Software Engineering.
- Ability to show the mastery of the software engineering knowledge and skills, and professional issues necessary to bring practice as software engineer
- AAbility to work as an individual and especially as a part of team to develop and deliver quality software products.And learn new models, tools, techniques and technologies as they emerge and appreciate the necessity of such continuing professional development.
- Ability to learn new models, tools, techniques and technologies as they emerge and appreciate the necessity of such continuing professional development. Study of advanced courses from basic and preliminary courses that will make the students to understand all dimensions of the field (Software Engineering) thoroughly.
- Ability to reconcile conflicting project activities, finding acceptable compromises within limitations of cost, time, knowledge, existing systems and organizations And design appropriate solutions in one or more application domains using software engineering approaches that integrate ethical, social, legal and economic concerns.